Friday, November 25, 2011

Santo Domingo Routine

We are back into the Republica Dominicana routine.  We had Thanksgiving dinner with the CCM Elders yesterday and I watched a little Dolphins and Cowboys football last night.  Today we gave our health talk to the Elders, the one we give to each group as they pass through the Centro de Capicitation los Misioneros.  It isn't at all like eighth grade health, when they separate the boys and girls.  This is only about clean food, water, diarrhea and taking care of your toenails.  Most of this group will stay in the Dominican, only four to Puerto Rico and one to Jamaica.  Our water isn't trustworthy, so they must use their filters or use bottled water.  I have been happy this time that no one has been sick in the CCM, last group will be the exception I hope.

We went to a grocery store today called Los Amigos, it has many familiar brands, butter from New Zealand,  and Haagen Daz ice cream.  It didn't seem too expensive and we'll keep it in mind when we are feeling homesick. 

Tony never looked so good.

I did have a little excitement while driving today, after I slid through one intersection as the light changed the traffic cops(Amed) pulled me over, they stand by intersections and jump out in the lane to pull you over.  Anyway, I now have a ticket, he didn't buy my "amarillo" defense, luz rojo was about all I could understand when he talked to me.  I don't know the damage yet, the true punishment will be having to find out where to go and stand in a line or two to pay the fine.  I am hoping it is a warning, because it doesn't give any instructions on going anywhere or how to pay.  There is a building here though, where everyone has to go to pay, so I have a feeling I will be in line there before too long.  It is called the Prisoners Pensione, or something like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Iceland Trip With the Horne Family- Feb 2019

In October while visiting Laura she discovered low cost flights via Icelandair direct from Seattle to Reykjavik, Iceland.  We pounced on the...